Monday, October 15, 2007

"Do you mind changing it? I don't think the Seattle Channel is jizz-friendly"--a producer with A Guide to Visitors

The producers of the Seattle-based story-telling salon, A Guide to Visitors, are among the smartest and funniest individuals I've worked with in the arts. So when they asked me to resurrect a story I'd told onstage last year at the Rendezvous, only this time for the Seattle Channel, I said, "Yea!" even though I was still living out of boxes and had scant few clean shirts.

The show has aired a few times (Channel 21, if you're local) and it's archived online now:

http://www.seattlechannel.org/AGuideToVisitors/

Or if you are jizz-friendly, you can read the original version I wrote for the Black Table three years ago:

http://blacktable.com/waxing041111.htm

4 comments:

Eric Spitznagel said...

I heart this story so much.

Love the original, too. But there's something about the way you read it that just makes the whole thing much funnier... and much, much, much more horrifying.

Seriously, though, is your brother retarded?

Litsa Dremousis: said...

Thankee kindly, mon frere.

My brother is actually super bright and funnier than hell--on my funniest day, I'm not as funny as he is on his least--but as kids, we hazed each other thoroughly.

He once accused me of trying to "repel guys" w/ one of my vintage coat/jewelry combos and refused to walk into school w/ me that day. I later absconded w/ many of his Polos (ah, the '80s) after convincing him that, in spite of his status as lettered varsity soccer play and all-around gifted athlete, he was developing "man-boobs" that protruded from his shirts.

And whenever his students Google him--he's the kind of high school teacher all of us wish we'd had--they inevitably find my work and then he has to answer questions like, "Did you know your sister interviewed Ron Jeremy?"

I consider it payback for the time he threatened to tell Mom and Dad about my first walk-of-shame my freshman year in college.

Eric Spitznagel said...

I stand corrected.

Speaking on behalf of all humanity, will you please, please, please write more stories about your family?

Litsa Dremousis: said...

During a critique session in college, a pissy classmate accused me of "doing to the Greeks what Phillip Roth does to the Jews".

I laughed and thanked him.