Thursday, July 19, 2007

One more reason I heart Jezebel.com:

I have a love/hate relationship with Gawker Media--sometimes I think they're spot on and others I think they're recklessly cruel--but their latest venture, Jezebel, is wickedly funny and the smartest of the bunch. Today's post on perceptions of curly hair makes me want to buy their editorial staff a round of blueberry-glaze donuts:

http://jezebel.com/gossip/standards-of-beauty/why-is-straight-hair-the-epitome-of-style-280210.php

And if you haven't already, check out the unrelated but equally compelling Feministing.com:

http://feministing.com/

2 comments:

BitchBuzz said...

AH yes, the love hate relationship with Gawker. I feel the same, and actually have a love/hate relationship with Jezbel, too. Some of the writers are brilliant and funny, and others, eh. Some of their posts on the election have been a bit, well, enraging, lol.

Feministing is fabulous. Have you read Courtney Martin and Jessica Valenti's books? They're both very, very good reads.

Litsa Dremousis: said...

Cate, I haven't read Courtney Martin and Jessica Valenti's books. Thanks for the recommendation.

Since I posted this in July, I've re-assessed Jezebel, for the same reasons you mention. Some of their writers are definitely brilliant and funny, but much of their election coverage has been embarrassingly bad and recent posts on Joan Didion and on Fibromyalgia were soft-headed and poorly reasoned.