Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Armistead Maupin Lives:


Salon's Laura Miller wrote of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City books, "As with the Beatles, everyone seems to like Maupin's Tales--and, really, why would you want to find someone who didn't?"

Maupin's work is smart and engaging and tastier than picnic table cobler on a warm June night. The Night Listener and the TotC series were the best part of some otherwise hideous couchbound weeks in '02 and '03 and I'm delighted that his newest, Michael Tolliver Lives, is on stands now.

While I might never forgive the editor who declined to let me interview him and assigned a Q & A with a video-installation artist instead (yeah, I know), I did enjoy Maupin's recent tete a tete with EW:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20041807,00.html

3 comments:

Eric Spitznagel said...

Oh please, tell me that editor wasn't me. Otherwise, I may have to punch myself in my own balls.

I am to Maupin's new novel as a 14-year-old girl in the south suburbs of Chicago is to an extended dance remix of Timberlake's "Sexyback" featuring Fat Joe, Lil' Jon, Pitbull, Jacki-O, Fatman Scoop, etc. etc.

Litsa Dremousis: said...

You were not the editor in question, though I'll gladly help you cockpunch the offending party.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I heart Armistead Maupin, and I need a new book to read! Thanks for the good literary news.