Monday, June 21, 2010

Dad!

As I wrote elsewhere yesterday, my father taught me to respect everyone but that trust should be earned and that, also, he's the reason I swear a lot. (And so well.)

Dad, Mom, George and I had a relaxed and silly Fathers Day, capped off with dessert at the B&O, which only augmented the joy.

Of course, we don't get to choose our parents and I have some friends who are kind and wonderful despite the monsters they were saddled with. With each passing year, my brother and I feel increasingly lucky to have parents we would have picked if we'd had the option.

Dad says I'll always be his "little girl", but from the time I was just that, he believed I could conquer the world. He's one of the rare Greek men of his generation who nourished his daughter's intellectual and creative acumen as he did his son's. Plus, Dad taught me an effective batting stance and how to get spin on the ball when shooting free throws.

And while he will always try to order food not on the menu and remains convinced the Internet is a fad and this sometimes drives me a tad bonkers, I wouldn't change a goddamned thing.

Except, as with Mom, to confer immortality.

4 comments:

Tony M. said...

No doubt. Your Dad is one cool dude.

Litsa Dremousis: said...

Thanks, T! Mom mentioned again yesterday how touched she's been by everyone's cards and emails and she singled your out again. Really touching, sweets!

Unknown said...

Of course, some folks would disagree with you Litsa when you say we don't choose our parents. I had a really interesting conversation the other day with an audience member who said that we choose our parents long before we begin our journey with them.
The challenge, of course, is to figure out sometimes what the heck we were thinking when we chose them! ;-)

Bravo for your Dad (great guy, by the way) for recognizing the rich rewards latent in nurturing greatness in his children - boy or girl!
The fact that you wouldn't change a thing reinforces for me that you chose wisely, Litsa. Well done!
And that batting stance will never steer you wrong!

Litsa Dremousis: said...

Thanks for weighing in, George! Hope you and your family are well and that you had a wonderful Fathers Day! (And for those who might be confused, George is family-by-marriage and not my brother of the same name referred to in the post.)